The Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3), offers a full-time Research Assistant (RA) position linked to the duration of the project, ending on 31st of August 2026.
About the project:
Assessing the climate impact of Spanish cattle farming feeds into the existing Spanish-funded Project “VacunClim” granted under the “Proyectos de Generación de Conocimiento 2022. Investigación Orientada Tipo B” programme. Climate impacts and potential mitigation strategies for the cattle sector in Spain analysed through a novel modelling framework led by Dr. del Prado and Dr. Manzano.
The main objective of VACUNCLIM is to construct a novel and alternative methodological framework in order to estimate the climate impact and N losses and analyse potential strategies to mitigate such impacts from ruminant livestock systems. In this sense, we have selected the cattle sector in Spain as an interesting case study to develop and test this new framework.
The specific objectives of VACUNCLIM:
- Characterise the cattle sector in Spain for beef (suckler farms, finishing farms) and dairy cattle systems.
- Estimation of potential natural baseline biomass associated with land that is currently used by the cattle sector in Spain.
- Analyse LCA-based GHG and N emissions and level of circularity for a selection of real cattle farms in Spain the cattle sector in Spain.
- Develop a new whole-farm modelling approach to simulate the effect of management, soil and climatic conditions on GHG and N emissions from a beef cattle farm (SIMSBEEF).
- Modelling different GHG and N mitigation strategies for a selection of beef and dairy farm types in Spain).
- Scaling up future pathways scenarios towards net-zero GHG for the cattle sector in Spain.
The selected person will join the BC3 Agro-group within the Terrestrial Ecosystems research line at BC3.
The main responsibility will be to contribute to the main analysis on LCA-based and farm-based greenhouse gas (GHG) and nitrogen (N) emissions and level of circularity for a selection of real cattle farms in Spain.
The level of dedication in the different activities will vary throughout the contract period depending on the needs of the project and the established work schedule.
This will be managed by the internal project coordinator at BC3.
The work will be carried out according to the following tasks:
- Selection of different cattle farms to analyse
- Development of a data collection framework in order to gather empirical data to characterise the chosen
- Analysis of Carbon and N footprint of Spanish cattle
- Development of methods to simulate the effect of management, soil and climatic conditions on GHG and N emissions from a beef cattle farm.
- Assistance in selection of GHG mitigation measures to simulate in analysed farms
- Assistance in running different models for GHG and N mitigation
- Support the preparation of scientific publications and reports to validate the methods in the application;
- Attend meetings and conferences (external and internal) to present the approaches
The selected person would be required to have Degree in:
- Natural sciences or related engineering disciplines
Desired experience on some of these aspects:
- MsC in Natural sciences or related engineering disciplines
- Knowledge in livestock systems, parameter studies and sensitivity analyses
- LCA methodology
- Experience in livestock systems characterization
- Creation of databases and technical analysis of data
- Familiarity with one or more programming languages
- Demonstrated ability to write concise reports and scientific publication on the topic
- Knowledge of ongoing debates and initiatives to mitigate emissions from the livestock sector
Benefits and work environment:
- 35 hours a week
- 30 days of vacation per year
- Possibility of participating in internal training, learning or corporate social responsibility activities of the centre
- Interdisciplinary and inspiring working environment
- Quiet and spacious work space
Term of contract
Starting in March 2024, the the position will linked to the duration of the project, ending on 31st of August 2026 with a probationary period of 6 months.
The position will carry competitive salary, matching the academic and professional profile of the applicant, and excellent work conditions.
Basque Centre for Climate Change, Leioa, Spain.
As an HR Excellence awarded institution, BC3 is committed to conciliating research-academic requirements and family duties. BC3 is particularly concerned with creating equal opportunities for people independently of gender, culture, and race. Anyone with relevant qualifications is therefore strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
Fill the form below and upload one PDF document with the following information:
- Letter of motivation of a page
- Curriculum Vitae (free extension)
5th February 2024 (CET 15:00).
Informal enquiries can be made to Prof Agustin.firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Pablo.email@example.com noting in the subject of the message “Assessing the climate impact of Spanish cattle farming– Research Assistant”.
Please consider that only applications sent through the form included at the bottom of the BC3 web page will be considered (https://info.bc3research.org/job-offers/).