Urban transformations and nature-based solutions under the DUT-funded project Integrate NBS. Postdoctoral researcher, Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3)
The Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3) offers a full-time postdoctoral position physically at BC3 within the Integrate NbS project “Fulfilling the Transformative Potential of Nature-Based Solutions: From Fragmentation to Integration”, funded under the Driving Urban Transitions Partnership and led by Dr. Violeta Cabello.
About the project: Integrate NbS aims to support and enhance the potential of Nature-Based Solutions (NbS) to respond to interconnected social-environmental challenges while also realising the potential of urban spaces as spaces of human and ecological flourishing. In order to reach this goal, the project will develop and implement a methodology and associated co-creative process for how to work in an integrative way with the development, design and implementation of NbS based on six case studies located in the four partner countries: Norway, Poland, Spain and Sweden.
The project will draw on the emerging literature on labs-like co-creation methodologies (especially Transformation Labs and Living Labs) to design, test and evaluate a co-creative methodological approach that explicitly targets the transformative potential of NbS in urban areas, with especial attention to the dimensions of justice and equity.
BC3 will lead the Work Package on ‘Evaluation and training’, including the development and implementation of reflexive co-evaluation framework, while contributing to methodological design and implementation with two case studies in Spain.
The postdoctoral researcher will be participating in various activities throughout the project.
- First, the researcher is expected to contribute to a literature review of the intersection of NbS and co-creative methodologies.
- Second, the researcher will support the design of the methodology and its application in local case studies in Spain.
- Third, the researcher is expected to lead on the tasks of designing and implementing a framework for reflexive and continuous evaluation of the methodological approach of the project.
These tasks include the review of existing evaluation frameworks, the development of indicators for the “transformative potential of NbS” and their assessment through qualitative and participatory methods.
International travel will be expected to project meetings and conferences.
Generally, the researcher will support the PI to achieve the scientific objectives of the project, develop effective task management and collaboratively work, publish and disseminate project findings. We seek highly motivated candidates to:
- Work in an international ground-breaking team highly inspired by the transformations for sustainability scientific community,
- Develop transdisciplinary work with local communities and policy makers as well as with project partners,
- Use both theoretical and empirical qualitative and participatory approaches to respond to key project questions, and turn findings into both scientific, policy and other outputs that can deliver real transformative change.
- Contribute to a comprehensive analysis of the intersection between NbS and co-creative methodologies.
- Contribute to the design of the integrative co-creation methodology of the project and its adaptation to the Spanish context.
- Develop two case studies in Spain, one focussed on learning for developing the evaluation framework, the other one on implementing the co-creation methodology.
- Lead on the design and implementation of a reflexive co-evaluation framework all along the project.
- This is a predominantly social sciences project. It will be required a PhD level in social sciences.
- Strong analytical skills, experience with qualitative and/or participatory research. Facilitation skills will be additionally valued but it is not a requirement.
- The applicant must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, as well as an excellent written and oral command of English and Spanish is required.
- Academic experience in the fields of sustainability sciences, transformations to sustainability or Nature-Based Solutions.
- Ability to work collaboratively, experience in interdisciplinary or transdisciplinary research.
IMPORTANT: Applications including links to previous works/projects/initiatives that show how the applicant meets these requirements will be given priority. See “Application procedure”.
Benefits and work environment:
- Interdisciplinary and inspiring work environment
- Quiet and spacious workspaces
- Possibility of participating in internal training and academic activities of the center
- 35-hour week work calendar
- 30 days of vacation per year
Term of contract
Starting 31th of December 2023, the position will be for 3 years, with a 3-months’ probation period based on the performance of the work. Candidates are expected to start working in person at BC3 in January 2024.
The position will carry competitive salary and excellent work conditions (BC3 postdoctoral positions´ gross salaries are in the range of 27.040€ to 31.500€ euros/year).
Basque Centre for Climate Change, Leioa, (Spain).
As an HR Excellence awarded institution, BC3 is committed to conciliating research-academic requirements and family duties. BC3 is particularly concerned with creating equal opportunities for people independently of gender, culture, and race. Anyone with relevant qualifications is therefore strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
Fill the form below and upload one PDF document with the following information
- Letter of application / motivation. Applications including links to previous works/projects/initiatives that show how the applicant meets these requirements will be given priority.
- CV of maximum 4 pages
- A one-pager addressing the question of: How do I meet the requirements of this call? Please address the requirements as indicated in the bullet points above.
The deadline for applications is November 30th 2023; candidate interviews will start as applications are received.
Informal enquiries can be made to Violeta Cabello (firstname.lastname@example.org) noting in the subject of the message “ Postdoc IntegrateNBS”.
Please consider that only applications sent through the form included at the bottom of the BC3 web page will be considered (https://info.bc3research.org/job-offers/).
GA 101086771, funded by HORIZON-ERC-2022-COG