The Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3) is looking for a motivated Postdoctoral Researcher to support the research activities of Research Line (RL) 3 on Terrestrial Ecosystems, and specifically work on the national project GORBEEA, funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.
The Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3), offers a full-time postdoctoral researcher position to support the research activities in the context of the European Research Council (ERC) project GorBEEa (ID 101086771), led by Dr. Ainhoa Magrach. This is a 5-year research project funded by the ERC that will be developed at the ‘Global change impacts on ecosystem function’ lab, and within the framework of the Terrestrial Ecosystems Research Line (RL3).
The postdoctoral researcher will work collecting and analyzing data on plant and pollinator interactions from Gorbea Natural Park to investigate the role of biodiversity in maintaining ecosystem functioning and stability. Several ecosystem functions related with plant biomass production, pollinator biomass, and plant reproductive success, together with various stability properties will be calculated. Generally, the researcher will support the PI and the rest of the team to achieve the scientific objectives of the project, publish and disseminate project findings.
- Sampling species (plants, insects) and ecosystem functions
- Laboratory work: sorting and process samples, ID, etc
- Analyze and visualize data
- Write manuscripts and disseminate results
- Support the organization of project meetings and conferences across the project
- Help train and mentor other team members if necessary
- Experience sampling biological communities in the field and/or experimental systems.
- Knowledge of plant-insect community’s fundamental. Taxonomic knowledge desirable but not indispensable
- Strong statistical skills. Degree in Ecology, Environmental Sciences or similar
- The applicant must have good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as excellent written and oral command of English is required
- Academic excellence in Empirical Ecology, evidenced by previous works including PhD or postdoctoral research
- Ability to work collaboratively. Sampling will involve a group of people
- Driver’s license and previous experience driving a four-wheel drive vehicle
- Ability to work with a high degree of independence
IMPORTANT: Applications including links to previous works/projects/initiatives that show how the applicant meets these requirements will be given priority.
Benefits and work environment:
- Interdisciplinary and inspiring work environment
- Quiet and spacious workspaces
- Possibility of participating in internal training and academic activities of the centre
- 35-hour week work calendar
- 30 days of vacation per year
Term of contract
Starting in 2024, the position will be initially for 3 years, with a 3-months’ probation period based on performance. Guaranteed opportunities upon successful performance after the 3 years can be offered (up to 1 year, meaning a total of 4 years), including a salary review.
The position will carry competitive salary, matching the academic and professional profile of the applicant, and excellent work conditions.
Basque Centre for Climate Change, Leioa, (Spain).
As an HR Excellence awarded institution, BC3 is committed to conciliating research-academic requirements and family duties. BC3 is particularly concerned with creating equal opportunities for people independently of gender, culture, and race. Anyone with relevant qualifications is therefore strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
Fill the form below and upload one PDF document with the following information:
- Letter of application / motivation. Applications including links to previous works/projects/initiatives that show how the applicant meets these requirements will be given priority.
- A CV
- The names and email addresses of two referees.
The deadline for applications is November 30th 2023; candidate interviews will start as applications are received.
Informal enquiries can be made to Prof Ainhoa Magrach (email@example.com) noting in the subject of the message “Postdoc in Community Ecology job offer”. Please consider that only applications sent through the form included at the bottom of the BC3 web page will be considered (https://info.bc3research.org/job-offers/).
GA 101086771, funded by HORIZON-ERC-2022-COG