The Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3) opens a competitive call for applications to one PhD contract to develop the doctoral thesis on issues related to land-use modelling within the Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use (AFOLU) sector. The applicant will develop the thesis as part of European Commission research projects aimed to analyze the contribution of the AFOLU sector towards climate change mitigation and more sustainable land management at the global level. In particular, the research in BC3 implies acquiring knowledge on the context and developments in the AFOLU sector and its contribution to the Paris Agreement, and applying quantitative and qualitative insights into a larger multi-sectoral model. The research will be conducted at BC3 and in collaboration with other international research institutions.
Specifically, the applicant would:
- Develop a doctoral thesis in parallel to the tasks associated to ongoing research projects.
- Work with other team members using and developing modelling capabilities on the AFOLU sector.
- Write deliverables for the European Commission.
- Progressively, publish peer-reviewed research in international scientific journals.
The applicant should have a Graduate Degree in Agronomy, Forestry, Biology, Engineering, Economics, Computer Sciences, Mathematics, Physics or similar with at least 300 credits or a University Master or equivalent, a solid background in quantitative methods and programming.
Other relevant skills:
- Experience or interest in agriculture and/or forestry modelling
- Interest in the agricultural and forestry sector in the context of climate change mitigation
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (both written and oral) in English
- Knowledge of programming languages, in particular R, would be highly valuated.
- Flexibility to collaborate in existing research projects
- Desire to work in a diverse and multi-disciplinary research environment
Term of contract
The position will be for a period of two years with a possibility for extending it for two more years upon a positive assessment of the performance.
The position will carry excellent conditions of work. The salary will be in the range at BC3 for a PhD Student
Basque Centre for Climate Change, Leioa, Spain.
There is the possibility to take the position while being enrolled in a PhD program at the School of Agricultural Engineering and Environment – Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingeniería Agronómica y del Medio Natural (ETSIAMN) – at the Polytechic University of Valencia (UPV). The research work will still be carried out at BC3 premises.
As an HR Excellence awarded institution, BC3 is committed to conciliating research-academic requirements and family duties. BC3 is particularly concerned with creating equal opportunities for people independently of gender, culture, and race. Anyone with relevant qualifications is therefore strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
Fill the form below and upload one PDF document with the following information:
- Cover letter
- Detailed CV
- One letter of recommendation
20 December, 2022 (CET 15:00).
Informal enquiries for additional information can be made to to Neus Escobar (email@example.com) or to Dirk-Jan Van de Ven (firstname.lastname@example.org) noting in the subject of the message “PhD: AFOLU”.
Please consider that only applications sent through the form included at the bottom of the BC3 web page will be considered (https://info.bc3research.org/job-offers/).,
This form is disabled.