The Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3) offers a full-time Technician Position on the NBSOIL Horizon dedicated to soil health assessment and management.
BC3 has received a 4 year funding from the project NBSOIL (Nature Based Solutions for Soil Management) – HORIZON-MISS-2021-SOIL-02-08, to develop and integrate in the ARIES modelling ecosystem a specific NBSOIL module, and connect NBSOIL to ARIES modelling community, and develop content regarding the use of different soil models in support of soil health assessment and management.
The ARIES platform supports all activities of BC3 Research Line (RL) 5 on Integrated Modelling of Coupled Human-Natural Systems. The RL generates multidisciplinary scientific knowledge from human-nature interdependence to address complex sustainability problems through artificial intelligence (AI). The goal of the RL is to provide environmental data, models and understanding by retrieving, evaluating and integrating the existing information in order to support an effective policy-making where nature counts. Besides Ecosystem Services and Biodiversity, the RL also tackles Natural Capital Accounting, Conservation Finance, Food Security, Marine Spatial Planning, and Renewable Energy. All these products are used to inform sustainability decisions in relation to the SDGs.
We are looking for a Technician who can support the coordination of research projects and the development of ARIES technical tasks. The ARtificial Intelligence for Environment & Sustainability (ARIES) platform (https://aries.integratedmodelling.org/), is a semantic web infrastructure that uses AI to build computational solutions to environmental, policy and sustainability problems.
The position’s duties will include: (1) technical support in the development of the ARIES platform and in relation to ongoing research projects that use it, (2) internal coordination of the ARIES teamwork within BC3 and (3) coordinating with external project partners and stakeholders.
- Support the Scientific Coordination (S. Balbi and F. Villa) in the Strategic Management of the project.
- Support model development and data integration within ARIES platform.
- Technical support and supervision in relation to ongoing NBSOIL research activities.
- Coordination of project meetings with NBSOIL collaborators.
- International travelling and participation to NBSOIL related meetings when required.
- Masters or PhD degree.
- Experience in R&D projects.
- Previous exposure to Open Source Software related projects.
- Experience in ecosystem services modelling (Experience with ARIES is a plus).
- Experience in geospatial data processing and management.
- Experience in programming languages.
- Experience in project coordination and management.
- Ability to coordinate teamwork and interact with a broad range of scientific collaborators at European level.
- Excellent written and oral command of English.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Benefits and work environment
- Interdisciplinary and inspiring work environment.
- 35-hour week work calendar.
- 30 work days of vacation per year.
- Travel insurance.
Term of contract
Starting on the 1st of January 2023, the position will be linked to the duration of the project, with a six-month probation period.
The position will carry excellent conditions of work. The salary will be in the range at BC3 for a Technician.
Basque Centre for Climate Change, Leioa, Spain.
As an HR Excellence awarded institution, BC3 is committed to conciliating research-academic requirements and family duties. BC3 is particularly concerned with creating equal opportunities for people independently of gender, culture, and race. Anyone with relevant qualifications is therefore strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
Fill the form below and upload one PDF document with the following information:
- 2-page CV
- one-page motivation letter
- Contact details of two referees)
15 December, 2022 (CET 15:00).
Informal enquiries for additional information can be made to Prof. Stefano Balbi (email@example.com ) noting in the subject of the message “NBSOIL Technician”.
Please consider that only applications sent through the form included at the bottom of the BC3 web page will be considered (https://info.bc3research.org/job-offers/).,
This form is disabled.