- This event has passed.
BC3 Seminar: “Dimensionality reduction for the ocean wave dynamics”
December 20, 2017 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
“Dimensionality reduction for the ocean wave dynamics”
Prof. Leandro Farina
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil
Abstract: The large amount of spatiotemporal data used in ocean wave modelling can be analysed by dimensionality reduction techniques. Firstly, the use of empirical orthogonal functions and singular value decomposition show how global predictions of ocean waves can be better understood. In particular, it is seen that the total wave field obtained from wave model simulations can be reduced into a few dominant modes expressing the aspects of the global wave climate and relationships between the atmosphere and the ocean.
We then employ a generalised concept of ensemble dimension to the dynamics of ocean waves, aiming at establishing the regions of the globe´s oceans which have lower/higher local dimensionality. Bred vectors of surface winds, obtained by a global atmospheric ensemble system, are employed and used as forcings of multiple runs of the WAM wave model. Ensemble members of an ocean wave ensemble prediction system is then used to compute the ensemble dimension of the ocean waves. The numerical results show the local low dimensionality of the significant wave height, swell height and peak period as well as the ensemble spread of the wind fields used in the experiment.
Short CV or profile
- Ph.D. in Applied Maths from the University of Manchester, UK.
- Postdoctoral fellow in the IFP, Energies Nouvelles, France.
- Postdoc in the Ocean Engineering Department and in the Research Laboratory of Electronics of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA.
- Researcher at CPTEC/INPE, Cachoeira Paulista, Brazil.
- Professor at UFRGS, Porto Alegre, Brazil.
- Ocean wave modelling
- Interaction of water waves with obstacles
- Spectral methods for integral equations
Sede Building (Room Aketxe), Scientific Park of the University of the Basque Country, December 20, 12:00-13:00
In case you are interested in attending the seminar, please complete the following registration form.
Limited registration until full capacity.