The Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3) offers a full-time Research Assistant Position within the Horizon Europe project BlueAdapt (GA 101057764 funded by HORIZON-HLTH-2021-ENVHLTH-02-03 call) for a period of 12 months. The position will be located at the BC3 research group Health and Climate, within the Adaptation Lab research line.
Bacterial and viral pathogens in coastal waters pose threats to health for a number of different agents – including occupational and recreational risks for activities in and around coasts. Under conditions of climate change, these risks are likely to increase for a number of reasons. For example, warming of the ocean is likely to influence the survival of bacteria and viruses. Exposure of humans to coastal waters may also change – as changing climates impact on human behaviour. Upstream, changes in pressures from wastewater, industry and agricultural processes may also influence the abundance of viruses and bacteria in our coasts.
In this context, BlueAdapt attempts to provide an evidence base for innovation and action around coastal pathogens, by bringing together an interdisciplinary team of biologists, climate scientists, economists, epidemiologists and public health experts to investigate and quantify the future health risks associated with selected coastal pathogens, and identify adaptation measures through concrete case studies. BlueAdapt will also provide tools to assess the impacts of policy responses and communicate the results to a wide audience, including both policymakers and the public.
BC3 is working towards the development of an “extended One Health” approach, to help wider engagement in the complex nature of the issue, and illustrating in a local case study how this approach can be used to generate action and knowledge co-production.
For these activities, BC3 is looking for a research assistant who can support the BC3 research team in the scientific and communication tasks.
The research assistant will participate in various activities in the project, being responsible for (but not limited to):
- Review the state of the art, (including scientific and grey literature) related to coastal pathogens, climate change, environmental pollution, and related health impacts in line with the extended One Health.
- Prepare materials and support for the organization of surveys, focus groups and interviews.
- Support in the creation of databases for one health indicators.
- Visit regularly the PiE-UPV/EHU to conduct fieldwork in the Bay of Plentzia.
- Contribute to the development of the deliverables and documents of the project.
The selected person will be located at the Basque Centre for Climate Change, Bilbao, Spain, and will work under the direct supervision of Aline Chiabai and Marc Neumann, according to the needs of the project. The applicant is expected to comply with the standards of conduct and ethics imposed by the host institution (BC3).
- The successful candidate should hold a Master’s degree in environmental sciences, biology or ecology.
- Good oral and written communication skills, interpersonal and analytical skills, with demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural team.
- Fluency in English is required and a working level of Spanish.
- A strong motivation, interest in environmental issues, interdisciplinary collaboration and ability to work independently is also required.
Benefits and work environment:
- Interdisciplinary and inspiring work environment.
- 35-hour week work calendar.
- 30 days of vacation per year.
- We are offering an excellent research environment and close cooperation with a dynamic team and a network of international collaborators within BlueAdapt Project.
Term of contract
The position is for a period of one year (September 2023 – August 2024).
The position will carry competitive salary, matching the academic and professional profile of the applicant, and excellent work conditions.
Basque Centre for Climate Change, Leioa, Spain.
As an HR Excellence awarded institution, BC3 is committed to conciliating research-academic requirements and family duties. BC3 is particularly concerned with creating equal opportunities for people independently of gender, culture, and race. Anyone with relevant qualifications is therefore strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
Fill the form below and upload one PDF document with the following information:
- One-page MOTIVATION LETTER.
- Contact information of two referees.
15 June, 2023 (CET 15:00).
Informal enquiries can be made to Aline Chiabai (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Marc Neumann (email@example.com) noting in the subject of the message “BlueAdapt RA position”.
Please consider that only applications sent through the form included at the bottom of the BC3 web page will be considered (https://info.bc3research.org/job-offers/).,
GA 101057764, funded by HORIZON-HLTH-2021-ENVHLTH-02-03
María de Maeztu Excellence Unit 2023-2027 Ref. CEX2021-001201-M, funded by MCIN/AEI /10.13039/501100011033
©2008 BC3 Basque Centre for Climate Change.