During 12-14th of February, the GFOI R&D Coordination component, the GOFC-GOLD Land Cover Office, and BC3 Basque Center for Climate Change organized the 3rd Expert workshop on lessons learned from Accuracy Assessments in the context of REDD+: Uncertainties of emission factors and biomass maps in Leioa.
The objectives of the workshop
The overall aim is to provide improved guidance on accuracy assessments in the context of REDD+. In particular, the workshop will provide guidance to practitioners to meet the IPCC good practice criteria related to bias and uncertainty in estimates of emissions factors. Drawing from previous meetings, we aim specifically to:
- Assess current issues with estimation of emission factors and emissions in REDD+ capacity development and implementation programs (i.e. Worldbank FCPF, UN-REDD, bilaterals). This includes the review of country cases
- Present and discuss the status quo on approaches and experiences in assessing the uncertainty of biomass maps and emission factors, including:
- Discuss biomass data sources the issues related to uncertainty assessments
- Identify the components requiring attention (determining the uncertainty of EFs) i.e. biomass, allometry, BCEF, root/shoot, and their sources, for example measurement uncertainty.
- Discuss how global / regional / pantropical biomass maps can be used to increase precision in national estimates In particular for countries that do not have a designedbased/probabilistic sample NFI and for countries that do not have any data
- Define needs to construct a new biomass map to improve IPCC-compliant estimates
- Provide guidance on the estimation and propagation (including through Monte Carlo simulations) of uncertainty related to both activity data and emissions factors towards including it in the next MGD
- Discuss issues for GFOI R&D synthesis related to EFs and for contributions to 2019 methodological refinement of the IPCC GP
- Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3)
- Center for International Forest Research (CIFOR)
- European Space Agency (ESA)
- GFOI R&D Coordination component
- GOFC-GOLD Land Cover Office
- US Silvacarbon Program
- Wageningen University
- World Bank FCPF
More information: http://www.gofcgold.wur.nl/sites/gofcgold-gfoi_sciencemeetingBilbaoAccuracy2018.php
María de Maeztu Excellence Unit 2023-2027 Ref. CEX2021-001201-M, funded by MCIN/AEI /10.13039/501100011033
©2008 BC3 Basque Centre for Climate Change.