The Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3), offers a full-time postdoctoral researcher position to support the research activities in the context of the European Research Council (ERC) project RECODYN (ID: 101043548), led by Dr. Daniel Montoya. This is a 5-year research project funded by the ERC that will be developed at the ‘Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Global Change’ lab, and within the framework of the Terrestrial Ecosystems Research Line (RL3).
The postdoctoral researcher will use the Metatron mesocosm experiment (https://themetatron.weebly.com/) to investigate the effects of global change on recovery dynamics (WP2). Communities sampled will consist on plants and insects involved in both mutualistic (e.g. pollinators) and antagonistic interactions (e.g. herbivores). Several ecosystem functions related with biomass production, respiration and interaction rates will be sampled, together with various stability properties. Generally, the researcher will support the PI and the rest of the team to achieve the scientific objectives of the project, publish and disseminate project findings.
- Sampling species (plants, insects) and ecosystem functions
- Laboratory work: sorting and process samples, ID, etc
- Analyse and visualize data
- Write manuscripts and disseminate results
- Support the organization of project meetings and conferences across the project
- Help train and mentor other team members if necessary
- Experience sampling biological communities in the field and/or experimental systems. Knowledge of plant-insect communities fundamental. Taxonomic knowledge desirable but not indispensable
- Strong statistical skills. Degree in Ecology, Environmental Sciences or similar
- The applicant must have good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as excellent written and oral command of English is required. Good command of French is not indispensable but desirable because the experimental platform is located in France
- Academic excellence in Empirical Ecology, evidenced by previous works including PhD or postdoctoral research
- Ability to work collaboratively. Sampling will involve a group of people
IMPORTANT: Applications including links to previous works/projects/initiatives that show how the applicant meets these requirements will be given priority.
Benefits and work environment:
- Interdisciplinary and inspiring work environment. Researchers will join a vibrant interdisciplinary research center of empirical and theoretical ecologists, computer scientists, economists and social scientists
- Combination of office and field work in two neighboring countries (Spain, France). Quiet and spacious workspaces
- Possibility of participating in internal training, learning, or corporate social responsibility activities of the center
- 35-hour week work calendar
- 30 days of vacation per year
Term of contract
Starting in 2023, the position will be initially for 3 years, with a 3-months’ probation period based on performance. Guaranteed opportunities for longer-term employment upon successful performance after the 3 years will be offered (up to 1 year, meaning a total of 4 years), including a salary review.
The position will carry competitive salary, matching the academic and professional profile of the applicant, and excellent work conditions.
Basque Centre for Climate Change, Leioa, Spain.
As an HR Excellence awarded institution, BC3 is committed to conciliating research-academic requirements and family duties. BC3 is particularly concerned with creating equal opportunities for people independently of gender, culture, and race. Anyone with relevant qualifications is therefore strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
Fill the form below and upload one PDF document with the following information:
- Letter of application/ motivation
- contact details of two referees
30 November 2022 (CET 15:00).
Informal enquiries can be made to Prof Daniel Montoya (email@example.com) noting in the subject of the message “ Postdoc in Theoretical Ecology”.
Please consider that only applications sent through the form included at the bottom of the BC3 web page will be considered (https://info.bc3research.org/job-offers/).
The deadline for applications is November 30th 2022 (this date might be extended); candidate interviews will start as applications are received.