The Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3), offers a full-time technician position to support the research activities in the context of the European Research Council (ERC) project RECODYN (ID: 101043548), led by Dr. Daniel Montoya. This is a 5-year research project funded by the ERC that will be developed at the ‘Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Global Change’ lab, and within the framework of the Terrestrial Ecosystems Research Line (RL3).
The technician will participate in the Metatron mesocosm experiment (https://themetatron.weebly.com/) to study experimental ecosystem recovery dynamics. Communities sampled will consist on plants and insects involved in both mutualistic (e.g. pollinators) and antagonistic interactions (e.g. herbivores). Several ecosystem functions related with biomass production, respiration and interaction rates will be sampled, together with various stability properties.
- Manage the mesocosm experiments in collaboration with the local technical manager
- Be in charge of the mesocosm maintenance
- Support the two experimental postdocs and the PhD involved in the mesocosm sampling, freeing them up to analyse results, write papers and disseminate results at international conferences
- Support the organization of project meetings and conferences across the project
- Degree in Biology or Environmental Sciences, or similar. Previous experience in sampling biological communities, and knowledge of plant-insect communities is desirable but not indispensable
- The applicant must have good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as excellent written and oral command of English is required. Good command of French is also highly desirable because the experimental platform is located in France
- Ability to work collaboratively. Sampling will involve a group of people.
IMPORTANT: Applications including links to previous works/projects/initiatives that show how the applicant meets these requirements will be given priority.
Benefits and work environment:
- Interdisciplinary and inspiring work environment. The candidate will join a vibrant interdisciplinary research center of empirical and theoretical ecologists, computer scientists, economists and social scientists.
- Combination of office and field work in two neighboring countries (Spain, France). Quiet and spacious workspaces
- Possibility of participating in internal training, learning, or corporate social responsibility activities of the center
- 35-hour week work calendar
- 30 days of vacation per year
Term of contract
Starting in 2023, the position will be for 4 years, with a six-month probation period
The position will carry competitive salary, matching the academic and professional profile of the applicant, and excellent work conditions.
Basque Centre for Climate Change, Leioa, Spain.
As an HR Excellence awarded institution, BC3 is committed to conciliating research-academic requirements and family duties. BC3 is particularly concerned with creating equal opportunities for people independently of gender, culture, and race. Anyone with relevant qualifications is therefore strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
Fill the form below and upload one PDF document with the following information:
- Letter of application/ motivation
- contact details of two referees
30 November 2022 (CET 15:00).
Informal enquiries can be made to Prof Daniel Montoya (firstname.lastname@example.org) noting in the subject of the message “ Full-time Technician / Technical Assistant for RECODYN project”.
Please consider that only applications sent through the form included at the bottom of the BC3 web page will be considered (https://info.bc3research.org/job-offers/).
The deadline for applications is November 30th 2022 (this date might be extended); candidate interviews will start as applications are received.