This call was closed on the 10th of March 2018
The Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3) opens a competitive call for applications for a Postdoctoral contract in the context of a project financed by the European Commission H-2020 Program – COACCH: CO-designing the Assessment of Climate CHange costs.
COACCH aims to produce an improved downscaled assessment of the risks and costs of climate change in Europe that can respond to the different needs of end-users. The project will advance the knowledge and evidence-base on climate change and will explore potential tipping points.
BC3 is involved in the development of heatwave risk mapping at European level to support adaptation in vulnerable areas. A methodological framework for risk assessment will be built addressing three dimensions: hazard, exposure and vulnerability. BC3 will develop relevant indicators for heatwaves and study their relations with other stressors such as air pollution. A potential end-use of the framework is the appraisal of heat warning systems and action plans.
- Characterising health hazards related to heatwaves, based on selected meteorological indicators and concurrent episodes of air pollution (e.g. ozone).
- Contributing to the development of the methodological framework for heatwave risk mapping.
- Modelling health impacts and projections under future climate scenarios for selected areas, taking into account relevant epidemiological parameters.
- Geo-spatial mapping and analysis superposing the identified risk dimensions.
Essential qualifications and skills:
- PhD in health sciences, atmospheric sciences, geosciences or engineering, with strong emphasis on statistical analysis, and demonstration of a track record of peer-reviewed publications as well as the ability to initiate and complete original research.
- Strong background in stochastic modelling, quantitative analysis and programming.
- Good interpersonal as well communication skills (both written and oral) in English.
Desirable qualifications and skills:
- Expertise in health- and environmental impact assessment and epidemiology.
Envisaged starting date of the contract: June 2018.
Term of contract: The position will be for a period of 24 months (with possible extension).
Salary: The position will carry competitive salary, matching the academic and professional profile of the applicant, and excellent conditions of work.
Location: Basque Centre for Climate Change, Bilbao (Spain).
Interested applicants are invited to send their application by email to the Human Resources department of the Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3) (firstname.lastname@example.org) with subject line: “Postdoctoral application for COACCH project”.
The application should include:
- A letter of interest up to 1000 words (2 pages) in English,
- Explaining the motivation for working in this project.
- Explaining the applicant’s background and expertise, with a focus on the skills, knowledge and aptitude they would bring to the position.
- Curriculum Vitae, including: education (bachelor degree, master degree, PhD), courses taken as relevant for the position, peer-reviewed publications related to the topic, specific technical skills, and previous work related to the topic.
- The contact details of two referees.