The Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3) opens a competitive call for applications for a Postdoctoral contract in the context of a project financed by the European Commission H2020 Program – iSAGE – Innovation for Sustainable Sheep and Goat Production in Europe.
iSAGE will assess the sustainability sheep and goat sector in Europe to future challenge such as climate change, food security, resource use efficiency and rural deprivation in marginal regions. Following the sustainability assessment, iSAGE will develop strategies to meet or prevent these challenges. Such strategies will include all levels of the industry including farmers, local populations, consumers, processors and retailers.
Among other tasks, BC3 is involved in different work packages (WP) related to (i) sustainability assessments (life cycle assessments) (WP1), (ii) development of meta-models for assessing climate change direct and indirect effects on small ruminants production systems (WP3) and (iii) the development of a new whole-farm model to asses sustainability currently and in the future of typical small ruminants production systems in Europe (WP4).
- Development of the animal sub-model for estimating energy and nutrient requirements for different breeds and type of production systems for small ruminants in Europe.
- Development of the different lactation and growth curves for different breeds and type of production systems for small ruminants in Europe.
- Contributing to the nitrogen and carbon nutrient cycling submodules in the new farm model.
- Contributing to the Life cycle assessment to estimate the overall environmental impacts of re-designed production systems, including pre and post-farm gate impacts if required
- Contributing to the simulation of sensitivity tests of important parameters to check the general behavior of the new farm model.
- Contributing to the publication of at least two scientific articles.